AIPH and Turkish Ornamental Plants and Products Exporters Association (OAiB) have joined forces to promote Green City concepts on their garden at Expo 2016 Antalya in Turkey.
Designed by award-winning garden designer, Nilufer Danis, the ‘Green Oasis Garden’, which covers over 1,000 square metres, aims to demonstrate the value of ‘living green’ in cities and promote investment in urban greening around the world.
Expo 2016 Antalya expects eight million visitors while it is open from 23 April until 30 October 2016. Visitors to the Green Oasis Garden can see the following concepts in practice:
- A green roof which lessens the urban heat island effect as well as capturing particulates and pollutants in the air, producing oxygen and providing insulation to enable energy saving.
- Solar panels on the top of the building absorb the sun’s rays to generate electricity.
- A rain garden provides sustainable drainage to prevent flooding and storm water runoff.
- A planted table enables food to grow right where you eat it! The table includes a mix of edible green plants and fruit to encourage healthier and more sustainable living, demonstrating a way to grow your own food at home.
- Insect hotels promote biodiversity providing place for hibernating insects like ladybirds and butterflies.
- Permeable paving surfaces allow the movement of storm water through the surface and reduce water runoff.
- Tree planting provides a habitat for wildlife and helps cool the air, reducing the so called ‘heat island effect’.
AIPH Secretary General, Tim Briercliffe, comments, “AIPH believes strongly that cities around the world can use plants and the living landscape to tackle the many social and environmental challenges they face. It is our hope that cities from around the world will use the concepts demonstrated in this garden to improve life for their own citizens. Expo 2016 Antalya will be an amazing event and I would recommend that everyone with an interest in greening the future should visit.”
OAiB President, Osman Bagdatlioglu, adds, “I am proud to have been involved with Expo 2016 Antalya since AIPH first approved it as an A1 International Horticultural Exhibition in 2008. This region of Turkey is developing rapidly as a major producer of ornamentals and we welcome everyone to come and see us this year.”
Find out more about Expo 2016 Antalya at www.expo2016.org.tr
Tickets are available from https://expoant.com/bilet/expo_tickets.html